Section 21 aka 'pre-nup' agreement- do you need one?

A section 21 agreement, also known as a contracting out agreement, relationship property agreement or ‘pre-nup’, is a written agreement that allows couples to make arrangements about the status, ownership and division of property upon separation or death. This agreement ‘contracts out’ of the equal-sharing relationship property rule under the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 (the Act).

These agreements can cover any and all property owned by either party and the parties are free to decide on the division they see fit.


Immigration changes

With New Zealand’s borders still shut to most countries, added pressure has been put on Immigration New Zealand (INZ) to process both visas for migrants already residing in NZ and those wanting to enter. In response to this, the government has announced a once-in-a generation reset on the immigration system, designed, says Tourism Minister Stuart Nash, to “get ahead of population growth and avoid returning to the pre-COVID status quo”.



Do you rely on a fire place or multi burner in the winter or are you looking at purchasing a property with one? If your answer is yes, there are fuel regulations you might not be aware of.


When the bubble bursts - Can I be fired if I get stuck in Australia?

The Trans-Tasman bubble opened, paused, opened and is now closed again and New Zealanders have been trying to get home during the 7 day window allowed by the New Zealand government. So from an employment law perspective, what happens if an employee gets stuck in Australia for an indefinite period of time?


Spot....sit! Good dog!

As of May 2021 there were 543,972 dogs registered on the National Dog Database in New Zealand. While these statistics illustrate our love for furry friends, sometimes things can go wrong, so if you are a dog owner, it is important for you to understand your responsibilities.