What you need to know about the My Vaccine Pass

A My Vaccine Pass is an official record of your Covid-19 vaccination status for use in New Zealand. Having a pass will allow you to access certain events, entertainment and dining facilities, and other venues operating under the new Covid-19 Protection Framework (traffic light system) which comes into force in New Zealand on Friday 3 November 2021.

Your My Vaccine Pass will include details of your name, date of birth, and a personalized QR code which can be scanned and verified. This can be stored and saved on a digital device, or be kept on hand as a printed physical copy. Passes expire 6 months after the date they were issued, so it is important in future that these are renewed every 6 months.

How do you get one?

You can apply for a pass from the MyCovidRecord website

You can request your My Vaccine pass if you are aged 12 and over and:

  • Have had 2 doses of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine in New Zealand, or
  • Have been vaccinated overseas with one of the approved vaccines, or
  • Qualify for, and are issued a medical exemption under the Public Health Response (Vaccinations) Order

When will I need a My Vaccine Pass?

You may need to use your My Vaccine Pass to enter certain events, venues, and facilities. These could include but are not limited to:

  • Events and large gatherings
  • Hospitality venues including bars and restaurants
  • Close-proximity businesses, such as hairdressers, gyms, nail salons
  • Sports, including sports events
  • Some retail shops
  • Faith-based gatherings
  • Some university campuses
  • Any other business, organization, or service that wishes to operate under the My Vaccine Pass rules

If a business, organization, or service does not wish to request proof of vaccination status, they will have to operate with strict limits on capacity and space requirements. They may need to close in Red and/or Orange levels.

Anyone under the age of 12 years and 3 months is not required to show proof of vaccination.

Who cannot ask me to present a My Vaccine Pass?

Some businesses are prohibited from asking you to present your My Vaccine Pass. These include:

  • Supermarkets
  • Pharmacies
  • All health and disability services
  • Social services
  • Food banks
  • Petrol stations
  • Public transport (excluding air travel)

What about overseas travel?

Your My Vaccine Pass will not be valid for overseas travel. If you are travelling to another country, you will need to request an International Travel Vaccination Certificate.